As the sons of Vale Tudo legend Francisco “Master Indio” Silva, brothers Danillo and Yuri Villefort come from a prestigious fighting pedigree. Born and raised in Brazil, Danillo and Yuri have been training judo and BJJ since they were young boys. Now, both Blackzilians make their living in the cage—Yuri is signed with the UFC, while Danillo is on the WSOF roster.
This month, Danillo shows readers one of his favorite judo throws at the JACO Hybrid Training Center in Delray Beach, Florida.
1) Yuri (left) and Danillo (right) square off in orthodox stances.
2) Danillo closes the distance by throwing an overhand right.
3) Danillo digs an underhook with his right arm and grabs wrist control with his left hand. Danillo will maintain the underhook and wrist control throughout the throw.
4) Danillo begins to work knees to Yuri’s midsection.
5) Danillo maintains his underhook and wrist control. To keep Yuri in bad position, Danillo uses his head to block Yuri’s head.
6) Instead of throwing another knee, Danillo steps with his left foot to the outside of Yuri’s right foot and uses his underhook to drive Yuri off balance.
7) Danillo continues to drive forward, forcing Yuri to put all of his weight on his right leg. Danillo lifts his right leg off the mat to move into position to attack Yuri’s right leg.
8) Danillo slides his right leg to the outside of Yuri’s right leg, while popping his hips and sending Yuri airborne.
9) Danillo lands in full control, keeping the underhook and sliding his left hand from wrist control to elbow control.