Combat Worthy Combos
As a former United States Marine, Team Gaspari athlete Brian Stann knows a thing or two about combat. A recipient of the Silver Star for his actions on the battlefield, and the former WEC Light Heavyweight Champ, Stann has firmly established himself as a formidable competitor in the UFC’s Middleweight division. Look for Stann as he fights Alessio Sakara on April 14, 2012, on UFC on FUEL TV 2. In the meantime, Stann continues to hone his skills at his gym, Warriors Legion MMA, in Alpharetta, GA. This month, he runs us through two of his favorite striking combos.
STRAIGHT RIGHT, LEFT HOOK, LEG KICK
1. Brian Stann squares off against a right handed opponent. He keeps his hands high and his chin tucked as he moves into effective striking range.
2. Pivoting off the ball of his rear foot, Stann rotates his hips and throws a straight right hand down the middle. He simultaneously shifts his head to the left, off the line of a counterattack.
3. As he shifts his weight back to neutral, Stann pivots off his front foot, sits into his rear leg, and rotates into a left hook to the body of his opponent.
4. Continuing his chain of momentum, Stann takes a small step to the outside with his left foot, rotates his hips over, and delivers a leg kick to the thigh of his opponent to finish the combo.
LEFT HOOK, STRAIGHT RIGHT TO BODY, HEAD KICK
1. Stann squares off against a right handed opponent. He keeps his hands high and his chin tucked as he moves into effective striking range.
2. Stann pivots off his front foot and throws a pawing, set-up left hook to the chin of his opponent.
3. Stann rotates back to center and bends at the knees to change levels and avoid the counter. He simultaneously fires a straight right hand to the midsection of his opponent.
4. Using his crouched stance as a springboard, Stann explodes upward and delivers a powerful high kick to finish the combo.
Comments are closed.