Drew Dober: FIGHT!'s Full Time Fighter (Day Three)


Drew Dober won FIGHT! Magazine’s Full Time Fighter contest. The prize package included training gear from Jaco and MMAWarehouse, a week of training with Shawn Tompkins at Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas, Nev., and cash to blow on slots and “exotic dancers.” We’ll be keeping up with him all week to let you know about his experience as a full time fighter.

Day Three

8 a.m. – woke up and had some breakfast getting ready for the day.

8:45 a.m. – Shawn and I leave for the gym.

9 a.m. – Put the gear on and started shadow boxing for warm up.

9:10 a.m. – Shawn put me on the heavy bag and have me work 3×5 minute rounds hitting angles and combination on the heavy bag. Then 3×5 minute rounds working knees on the heavy bag. It was exhausting and then, 3×5 minute rounds working ground and pound on the dummy.

10 a.m. – Jiu jitsu class starts and Shawn throws me in there to drill techniques. The entire time we work on the mechanics of the guillotine. So when I come home plan on getting choked out, haha. After jiu jitsu class I get washed up and talk to a couple of the amateurs, they are pretty good as well.

11:30 a.m. – We head back to the house and I meet Mark Hominick, who is bunking with me now too. We pretty much relax, get some food (I got a sandwich called the Bobby, haha) and watched movies. Getting ready for the pro practice.

3:30 p.m. – Sam and I leave for the pro practice.

4 p.m. – I put the hand wraps on and I start jogging around the mat with the team. We start off with some crunches and more jogging. After we are all warmed up we put the big gloves on and we start drilling techniques. I was partnered with Mark Hominick, which is incredibly cool inside the house but as soon as he gets in the gym his entire demeanor changed. He was so intense and serious it was incredibly intimidating. So Mark and I worked defending a lead hook and an overhand. Second round we worked angling of of straight combinations. Last round we worked our shot off of combinations. I was tired after all that drilling but Mark kept his same pace, which I tried to keep up.

5 p.m. – We put our shin pads on and headgear (which I would like to thank FIGHT! Magazine for the sweet gear) and started out heavy sparring. I was first partnered with Mark Hominick, which for anyone who fights this guy I feel sorry for. His pace and intensity is matched by none, which is incredibly intimidating when he is combo’ing up on you, haha. Then I sparred Mike Pyle, who just beat the ever living crap out of me. He did not let me do anything. Jab, cross, knee, takedown, and vicious ground and pound. He was beating me up, haha. Next was this guy I don’t know who he was, I did well against him, it went pretty back and forth but I felt comfortable. Then it was Sam Stout and I, his striking is amazing and he kept peppering me. Last was Tyson Griffin, who kept ripping me with body shot and strong body kicks. My height was an advantage but he was stil tagging the crap out of me. I tried to take him down but we all know how that’s ending, lol. Extremely tough day! I am so sore!

6:30 p.m. – I hang out with Paul, the photographer from FIGHT! Magazine. He takes me to On The Mat, which is an MMA store. Surprising enough the front counter guy recognized my name *flex*. That made me feel good. Then Paul took me to Wanderlei’s gym just to check it out. It was a very decent gym but I didn’t see anyone I recognized.

7 p.m. – I am not back at the house relaxing with the roommates. Just got finished with another interview with Fight Magazine which will be up on the website. Well, I’m not gonna bore you guys with mentioning the lame stuff we do at the house, but I can say that Emilie Tompkins is an amazing cook, haha.

Read Dober’s diary from day one.
Read his diary from day two.
Go to his day four diary.

Comments are closed.